Block Negative Sales in LS Retail POS

maheshmahesh Member Posts: 115
It is possible to block negative sales in navision ?
How to block such transactions during processing transaction from LS Retail POS?

If anybody have faced such scenario, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Maehsh Jain
Best Regards,
Mahesh Jain
mahesh@reliconservices.com

Comments

• nvermanverma Member Posts: 396
    why not use a filter or setrange or something to avoid showing -negative values....
  • gerrykistlergerrykistler Member Posts: 149
    You would have to do this with a modification as standard NAV will allow negative inventory unless there are bins, lots, serial numbers, or the location requires warehouse shipments.

The best place to do the check would be in the item application section in CU22 to check if there is any unapplied negative inventory.
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    mahesh, you probably have not thought this through. Probably the customer has come to you with a question you didn't clearly understand. Or the request was incomplete. Understand that inventory in Navision is handled differently to inventory in LS Retail. In LS, the customer picks the item up off the shelf, gives it to the teller and it is scanned into the system. This is not negative inventory, because the item physically exists, thus the problem is somewhere else. You need to fix the problem, not the symptom.
    David Singleton
    Negative inventory can cause huge issues with costing - I have seen it too many times. While, yes the business problem of physical inventory not matching what is in the system does need to be corrected, I think some type of error log at least identifying these issues coming from LS Retail would be in good order, rather than just letting the inventory go negative and finding the issue after the fact when it is too late to handle the issues caused by negative inventory. I have yet find a real world situation where shipments are posted for non-existent product and I think that hopefully some day NAV will at least have a setting in Inventory Setup to prevent inventory from going negative without bins, etc...

This is one thing that has bothered me since the first version of Navision - it makes no sense business wise for inventory to not be in the system but physically exist. Everyone who ships inventory items picks an item off the shelf and then either ships it to the customer or hands it to them (Unless of course this is a drop shipment but then negative inventory is not possible there).
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
    Negative inventory can cause huge issues with costing - I have seen it too many times.

That's interesting. One of the strengths of Navision's inventory costing engine, has always been its ability to handle negative inventory and keep the cost adjusted correctly once the positive entry is applied to it. I can't off hand think of a scenario, or even remember a customer that had an inventory costing issue caused by posting negative inventory. Also I know many customers that run negative inventory with sound business reasons for doing so.

On the other hand I totally agree with you that Navision as standard should have a tick box in the location table that prevents that location going to negative. Not for cost reasons I must add. But for the practical business reasons you mention.
    David Singleton
    You probably never had a customer using average costing - it causes a horrid mess - this is prevalent here in LATAM and I have two examples in the last 6 months from two different customers. Even with FIFO, LIFO, and Standard where the actual cost is just fine - the Unit Cost (approximate average) on the Item Card can easily get out of whack with negative inventory.

I would like to hear about the sound business reasons for negative inventory as to me negative inventory is illogical and in 17 years I have not heard of one reason that was truly sound.
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
  • maheshmahesh Member Posts: 115
    Thanks for your interest.
    nverma wrote:
    why not use a filter or setrange or something to avoid showing -negative values....
    I'm askign for LS Retails POS... not for NAV
    The best place to do the check would be in the item application section in CU22 to check if there is any unapplied negative inventory.
    On the other hand I totally agree with you that Navision as standard should have a tick box in the location table that prevents that location going to negative.
    I have already develoepd such field in Location card which doesn't allow inventory to go negative, if marked.
    Everyone who ships inventory items picks an item off the shelf and then either ships it to the customer or hands it to them
    Completely agree.

Here is my scenario.
    1. User make sales transaction using LS Retail POS(Point of Sale) in Retail Shop
    2. Sales transactions are replicated to Server using Data Director
    3. Statement is calculated & posted in NAV of HO

LS POS doesn't check inventory going negative during step-1. It comes to notice during Step-3.
    I want to block this in step-1 itself & user will note down such items to perform defined process.

Answers from LS Retail experts are most welcome.

Mahesh Jain
    Best Regards,
    Mahesh Jain
    mahesh@reliconservices.com
  • KishraguKishragu Member Posts: 45
    The reason why LS POS doesn't check for inventory status is because the item is physically available and as a retailer you want to sell those items on the shelves and make money...not worry about what NAV stock positions are..it could be -1000 for all it cares!!

Think it through logically before doing any coding to stop at Step 1. As a retailer are you going to tell your money spending customer who has the item on hand ready to be sold, that you can't sell them that item because your internal stock positions are incorrect and it will result in negative inventory?? :-k

Or

If it is something you want them to action at the end of the day, write a report which will provide them with the required details to make necessary stock adjustments with the option of automatically creating a worksheet which they can post.
    Kishragu wrote:
    The reason why LS POS doesn't check for inventory status is because the item is physically available and as a retailer you want to sell those items on the shelves and make money...not worry about what NAV stock positions are..it could be -1000 for all it cares!!

Think it through logically before doing any coding to stop at Step 1. As a retailer are you going to tell your money spending customer who has the item on hand ready to be sold, that you can't sell them that item because your internal stock positions are incorrect and it will result in negative inventory?? :-k

Or

If it is something you want them to action at the end of the day, write a report which will provide them with the required details to make necessary stock adjustments with the option of automatically creating a worksheet which they can post.

=D>

Exactly.
    David Singleton
    By all means do not stop the sale, but get the inventory corrected and identify these situations proactively. If it is a high turnover item you won't catch this until a cycle count or physical inventory is taken. Identify issues as soon as possible.

My suggestion would be that there should be a way for the person taking the sale to make that adjustment while recording the sale OR have LS Retail make a positive adjustment in the background to allow the sale to go through. Obviously the stock in LS Retail/NAV is wrong if inventory physically exists. Then those positive adjustments can be reviewed and actioned on by management throughout the day or at the end of the day. This should be a pretty straight forward modification and one that maybe someone has already done in LS Retail.

Having negative inventory never makes any sense.
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
  • sudhakarsvsudhakarsv Member Posts: 100
    Dear ALL,

There is no standard functionality available for checking the negative inventory at POS in LS Retail and the same can be done thru customization.

Below process needs to be followed for customization.

1.Check the inventory during billing from NAV using Transaction server or Data director. i.e.by creating a field in functionality profile card.
    2.Create a field in store card "negative inventory is not allowed".
    3.Based on the above field configuratoin in "EPOS Main" form check for the inventory of an item like (i)when new item line is inserted and (ii)when Changeqty is pressed.
    4. CheckforQuantity function in the above two scenarios.

I guess the above process will help in customization.
    Regards,
    S.V.Sudhakar
  • KishraguKishragu Member Posts: 45
    sudhakarsv wrote:
    Dear ALL,

There is no standard functionality available for checking the negative inventory at POS in LS Retail and the same can be done thru customization.

Below process needs to be followed for customization.

1.Check the inventory during billing from NAV using Transaction server or Data director. i.e.by creating a field in functionality profile card.
    2.Create a field in store card "negative inventory is not allowed".
    3.Based on the above field configuratoin in "EPOS Main" form check for the inventory of an item like (i)when new item line is inserted and (ii)when Changeqty is pressed.
    4. CheckforQuantity function in the above two scenarios.

I guess the above process will help in customization.

There are umpteen ways you can block a sale...the fundamental point we are trying to make here is that if the item is physically available the system should allow it to be sold on POS and not stop the POS user from selling it!! ](*,)
  • MammoMammo Member Posts: 107
    Sorry guys,

Reading all the post I find no solution every one is advising to correct the inventory but no body is giving the solution of a customer request. If the owner is willing to stop his negative sales then we should advise him not to do this and if he is still willing then we should provide a solution not to argue.

I am also willing to see the solution to stop negative sales at LS Retail POS.

Have any one has any solution yet?
  • sudhakarsvsudhakarsv Member Posts: 100
    "Negative Inventory check" at POS Functionality is already developed by DVS.
    Do get in touch with DVS for the same.
    Regards,
    S.V.Sudhakar