Waldo Dynamics NAV Notepad (WaldoNavPad) v3.1

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
edited 2014-08-06 in Download section
Waldo Navision Notepad (WaldoNavPad)
With WaldoNavPad you edit big amouts of texts in some kind of textpad, and store it in navision-tables (in pieces) to be able to show the content in a subform. The fieldlenght of a piece of text is adjustable. The pieces of text will be cut of at a "Space" or "Carriage Return".

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=335

Discuss this download here.

Comments

• vanwerovanwero Member Posts: 28
    I was searching a way to solve this problem for some time and this is an ideal solution for it!! Thanks!!
  • dbezzantdbezzant Member Posts: 10
    Looks great!

Any chance of Search and Print capability?
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    That's a good idea.

Search functionality will be included in the next release. The print-functionality I have to investigate first.

Thanx for the response.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • msbrmsbr Member Posts: 1
    Quite nice :)

Is there a possibility to use the WaldoNavPad completely by keyboard, especially to push the buttons by pressing Alt+O or Alt+C?
    Didn't have time yet to build in the other wanted functionality, but when I do, I will include this thing as well ... . You're right. I'm a keyboard-fan as well (ALT-shortcuts is a hobby of mine). Shame on me I didn't include this simple thing... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Joe_LittleJoe_Little Member Posts: 45
    I'm sure that our client will gripe about the font size though. Is there any chance of making it larger? Thanks, Joe.
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    Waldo Navision Notepad (WaldoNavPad) v2
    With WaldoNavPad you edit big amouts of texts in some kind of textpad, and store it in navision-tables (in pieces) to be able to show the content in a subform. The fieldlenght of a piece of text is adjustable. The pieces of text will be cut of at a "Space" or "Carriage Return".

New functionality:
    - Button text is adjustable (with text constants it's easy to make it language dependant).
    - Print / Print Preview functionality
    - Save text as rtf-file (easy to open in MS Word)
    - Search functionality
    - Bigger font so text is better "readable".

The download contains:
    - navision-objects which shows how to use the WaldoNavPad-DLL.
    - a setup for installing the VB.NET-DLL file.
    - the sourcecode of the VB.NET Class Library and Test UI

This is very nice, thank you. A couple of the procedures have moved numbers, so if you have created applets with this, so saving them as uncomplied before loading this or reloading them as text could save a little time.

This is a really useful tool. One additional tool that I will have our new developer make when he comes on line will be to keep the tags in a separate table as position, tag, so that the files will be useful plain text as well as rich text.

This should preserve the usefullness of existing reports, sales orders, etc. where this information pops out and will make it easy to export to plain text files for other applications.

If someone else gets there first, let me know, otherwise I'll have the code snippit posted in case anyone else wants it.

Nice job with this, I look forward to any future releases you may make!
    So, if I understand correctly, you want to do some text-design like underline, coloring, and other stuff, and save this in Navision as well.

hm ... have to think about that.

May be store it in a seperate table in a BLOB? This way, we would store it twice, but we can preserve all text-design ... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Sorry, I was actually thinking of a different editor with formatting capabilities. It stores the html strings in the text that it passes back. This isn't Waldo, apparently I liked yours better.

Formatting is ok, but really not that important for most folks that I come in contact with. If they really want formatted documents, they can use word.

Nice product and thanks for changing the font size. Joe.
  • AndicAndic Member Posts: 3
    Waldo, thank you! It is nice component.

But I have little bug.
    After opened editor window select "Edit"-"Find" and in Find window press "Cancel" ("Find what" is empty). Error window show up.

P.S. Excuse me for my bad English.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

It will be fixed in the next release.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Soft_TodSoft_Tod Member Posts: 43
    This is really a nice tool.

Customers like to work with a text editor instead of navision forms, especially when they're have to add a lot of text.

Sometimes it makes sense though only to show the text, read only. I know it can be done by just leaving the Save-part out, but it's not visibly disabled. Perhaps you're going to change the control anyway, sometime, and add such functionality.

Best regards
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious.
    it has been added to my to do list... :wink:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • KeithMMooreKeithMMoore Member Posts: 59
    Waldo is a very valuable tool. As we are implementing Navision in a non-profit environment, we want to be able to use WaldoNavPad with the existing Navision comment tables [HR, Contacts, Events (a new module)]

We have
    - successfully altered the variables passed to include the option field for the table that the comment is affiliated with
    - added the Separator field to those tables

The WNP works great but requires that we identify the comment table being used with a Record variable. We would like to dynamically call the appropriate comment table based on the module in use. It looks like a RecordRef variable can open the correct table but then the SETRANGE / SETFILTER functions are not available.

Can anyone tell me how to dynamically change the Comment Table that is used? Thanks in advance
    Thanks for your interest in the WNP.

I have not done this before, but I see no issue in solving this with RecordRef-possibilities, don't you think?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    I would think so but I am still fairly new to C/AL programming so I am not quite sure how it would work. It looked like RecordRef was the only way to change tables but then I am not sure how you set the filters the way you are able to set them with Record

Can a RecordRef object be referenced as a Record object?

Thanks
    If you look at the "Change Log Management"-codeunit, you have lots of code that is explaining how you should use RecordRef.

You can find a lot on this forum as well... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Thanks very much - that code looks very useful. Will let you know what we find.
  • JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    I'm impressed by what I've seen so far, but I do have one question.

With other (not so good) pad solutions, it's just a simple DLL, not an 'installer' EXE. The advantage of that simple approach is that with a BLOB field somewhere in the system, you can simply push the DLL out to users when they need the editor.

With the EXE installer road, one has to run setup on every Navision client machince.

Is there any way to more easily distribute this one?

Jeremy
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
    Well, actually, the only reason I use the setup program, is to have an easy method for the user to install the DLL. I didn't try it, but it should work as you say. Just find the WaldoNavPad.dll in the program folder, and use it as you like.

Again, I didn't try this, so I could be wrong.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Can you give me a "little" example how to write an ocx or DLL for use in navision:?:

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Thanks
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • JutJut Member Posts: 72
    [edit]

Well, maybe someone can help me with one question:

Why is Waldo changing the ASCII-Code 151 (— called dash) to 150 (- short dash)? How can this be solved?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Jut
  • Matt_KeyesMatt_Keyes Member Posts: 23
    One note - you have to call WaldoNavPad.Text := '' or you get some kind of null reference object. i haven't checked the source code, but it would make sense to initialize this variable to a blank string if it didn't exist, wouldn't it?

Or is this meant to be a check against trying to reuse the same text from a prevous instance?
    Jut wrote:
    Why is Waldo changing the ASCII-Code 151 (— called dash) to 150 (- short dash)? How can this be solved?

I don't remember exactly, but probably because dash gave a strange character in NAV. What do you meen with: how can this be "solved"? I don't exactly understand what the problem is.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Matt Keyes wrote:
    One note - you have to call WaldoNavPad.Text := '' or you get some kind of null reference object. i haven't checked the source code, but it would make sense to initialize this variable to a blank string if it didn't exist, wouldn't it?

Never encountered the problem, but I can imagine that I will have to add something like that. Thx for the "heads up".

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    Waldo Dynamics NAV Notepad (WaldoNavPad) v3

New functionality v3:
    Added:
    - warning when you changed the text and cancelled. The warningtext is customizable for multilanguage reasons.
    - Possibility for working with fonts
    - Possibility for making the pane readonly
    Fixed:
    - Pressing EditFind and then Cancel resulted into an error (cfr. Mibuso member Andic)

New functionality v2:
    - Button text is adjustable (with text constants it's easy to make it language dependant).
    - Print / Print Preview functionality
    - Save text as rtf-file (easy to open in MS Word)
    - Search functionality
    - Bigger font so text is better "readable".

The download contains:
    - navision-objects which shows how to use the WaldoNavPad-DLL.
    - a setup for installing the VB.NET-DLL file.
    - the sourcecode of the VB.NET Class Library and Test UI

• kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    Nice tool, thanks :)

I just have a question... can I set the position and size when running it?

Laura
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.