Finn's FobView v2.4

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
edited 2013-10-31 in Download section
Finn's FobView
Overview
FobView is a viewer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision) object files *.FOB.
It lists the objects contained in these files and by loading two files it is possible to compare the objects in these files.
It's posible to save the list to a file, print the list, and export the list to Excel.

Features
Read .FOB files only in this beta. Reading of .FBK, .TXT and .XML files will be added later.
Handles object types: Table, Form, Report, Dataport, Codeunit, XMLport, MenuSuite, Page.
Show the entire 80 characters Version field of an object.
Show the Modified flag of an object.
Show the Compiled flag of an object.
Read and compare 2 files.
Save the list to a comma seperated text file.
Print the list.
Transfer the list to Excel (Excel must be installed).

Beta version
Note that this a Beta version, so it may have bugs.
If you find a bug please let me know.
If it reads and displays a .fob file wrong in some way please send the .fob file to me with a description of the error.
Please zip the .fob file to reduce the size before mailing it to me.

You can help me by testing if it handles dates and times correctly in your country with your Regional Settings in Windows.
This goes when reading the .fob file, displaying the list, saving the list, printing the list, and exporting the list to Excel.
Please let me know if you find an error.

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1112

Discuss this download here.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    Finn's FobView v1.1
    Overview
    It lists the objects contained in these files and by loading two files it is possible to compare the objects in these files.
    It's possible to save the list to a file, print the list, and export the list to Excel.

Features
    Read .FOB files only in this beta. Reading of .FBK, .TXT and .XML files will be added later.
    Handles object types: Table, Form, Report, Dataport, Codeunit, XMLport, MenuSuite, Page.
    Print the list.
    National characters in object Name and Version List is shown correctly (converted from ASCII used in the fob file to Windows ANSI).
    Can now check for updates.

If it reads and displays a .fob file wrong in some way please send the .fob file to me with a description of the error.

You can help me by testing if it handles dates and times correctly in your country with your Regional Settings in Windows.
    This goes when reading the .fob file, displaying the list, saving the list, printing the list, and exporting the list to Excel.

• reijermolenaarreijermolenaar Member Posts: 256
    Hi Finn,

Thanks, nice tool! =D>

One little suggestion.
    If you check the option to see the changes between two fobs it would be nice to see the same objects together.
    Maybe you can make an option where you can choose the sorting?

Regards,
    Reijer
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
  • fitolfitol Member Posts: 46
    One little suggestion.
    If you check the option to see the changes between two fobs it would be nice to see the same objects together.
    Maybe you can make an option where you can choose the sorting?

Hi Reijer

I have just uploaded a new version where you can choose to sort by either File,Type,ID or Type,ID when showing equal or different objects.
    I think it will do what you want.
    Hopefully it will be available for download shortly.

Regards,
    Finn Tolderlund
  • reijermolenaarreijermolenaar Member Posts: 256
    Thanks, works great!
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    Finn's FobView v1.2
    Overview
    It's possible to save the list to a file, print the list, and export the list to Excel.

Features
    Print the list.
    National characters in object Name and Version List is shown correctly (converted from ASCII used in the fob file to Windows ANSI).
    Can now check for updates.

Version 1.2:

New option when showing equal or different objects to sort them by File/Type/ID or by Type/ID.
    Saving an empty list to file no longer results in an error message " '' is not a valid date. ".
    If there are no data rows in the list you can no longer save it, print it, or export it to Excel.
    Improved reading of the fob file structure. There was a rare case of a fob file which couldn't be read because of a slightly different structure.

Finn's FobView v1.3
    Overview
    FobView can view Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision) object files .FOB, .FBK, .TXT and .XML.
    It's posible to save the list to a file, print the list, and export the list to Excel.

Features
    Reading of .FOB, .FBK, .TXT and .XML files fra Navision.
    Handles object types: TableData, Table, Form, Report, Dataport, Codeunit, XMLport, MenuSuite, Page.
    Save the list a comma seperated text file.
    Print the list.
    National characters in object Name and Version List are shown correctly (converted from ASCII used in the fob file to Windows ANSI).
    Can check for updates.

Version 1.3:

Added reading of FBK files.
    Added reading of TXT files.
    Added reading of XML files.
    Notes about TXT files:
    1. BLOB Size is shown as 0 as it is not present in the TXT file.
    2. NAV writes the Date and Time to the TXT file using the machine's Regional Settings.
    - FobViewer tries to interpret the date and time and reformat them for display using the machine's Regional Settings.
    - If the interpretation fails they are displayed exactly as they are in the TXT file.
    - The interpretation may fail if you try to view a TXT file which was written using Regional Settings different from your own.
    - The interpretation should never fail when you view a TXT file which was written using Regional Settings the same as your own.
    Notes about XML files:
    1. BLOB Size is shown as 0 as it is not present in the XML file.
    2. XML files can apparently only contain objects of type Form, Report, Page (not Table,Dataport,Codeunit,XMLport,MenuSuite).
    - When exporting objects only Form/Report/Page will be written to the XML file (at least in NAV 2009).
    3. The Time value in the XML is written in UTC. This is different from FOB/FBK/TXT where the time value is written in local time.
    - When you import a XML file into NAV this UTC time is adjusted to local time by using the machine's Regional Settings for the Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time.
    - This actually means that if two people located in different parts of the world import the exact same XML file, the object's time in NAV will be different.
    - (If people in different parts of the world import the same FOB file, the object's time in NAV will be the same).
    - FobViewer will adjust the UTC time to local time by using the machine's Regional Settings for the Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time.

Version 1.2:

New option when showing equal or different objects to sort them by File/Type/ID or by Type/ID.
    Saving an empty list to file no longer results in an error message " '' is not a valid date. ".
    If there are no data rows in the list you can no longer save it, print it, or export it to Excel.
    Improved reading of the fob file structure. There was a rare case of a fob file which couldn't be read because of a slightly different structure.

Finn's FobView v1.4
    Overview
    FobView can view Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision) object files .FOB, .FBK, .TXT and .XML.

Features
    Reading of .FOB, .FBK, .TXT and .XML files fra Navision.
    Handles object types: TableData, Table, Form, Report, Dataport, Codeunit, XMLport, MenuSuite, Page.
    Save the list a comma seperated text file.
    Print the list.
    National characters in object Name and Version List are shown correctly (converted from ASCII used in the fob file to Windows ANSI).
    Can check for updates.
    Use Drag-and-Drop to open files.
    Can mark objects in Navision Object Designer.
    If you associate the file extension .fob with the program, you can double click the file and the program will open it.

Version 1.4

New toolbutton to mark objects in Navision Object Designer.
    Minor change: Only shows hint in grid if text is longer than column width.
    Minor change: Paint grid lines in full client area of grid.

Version 1.3.1

Improved reading of fob files. I reveived a couple of fob files which the program could not read.

Version 1.3:

Added reading of FBK files.
    Added reading of TXT files.
    Added reading of XML files.
    Notes about TXT files:
    1. BLOB Size is shown as 0 as it is not present in the TXT file.
    2. NAV writes the Date and Time to the TXT file using the machine's Regional Settings.
    - FobViewer tries to interpret the date and time and reformat them for display using the machine's Regional Settings.
    - If the interpretation fails they are displayed exactly as they are in the TXT file.
    - The interpretation may fail if you try to view a TXT file which was written using Regional Settings different from your own.
    - The interpretation should never fail when you view a TXT file which was written using Regional Settings the same as your own.
    Notes about XML files:
    1. BLOB Size is shown as 0 as it is not present in the XML file.
    2. XML files can apparently only contain objects of type Form, Report, Page (not Table,Dataport,Codeunit,XMLport,MenuSuite).
    - When exporting objects only Form/Report/Page will be written to the XML file (at least in NAV 2009).
    3. The Time value in the XML is written in UTC. This is different from FOB/FBK/TXT where the time value is written in local time.
    - When you import a XML file into NAV this UTC time is adjusted to local time by using the machine's Regional Settings for the Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time.
    - This actually means that if two people located in different parts of the world import the exact same XML file, the object's time in NAV will be different.
    - (If people in different parts of the world import the same FOB file, the object's time in NAV will be the same).
    - FobViewer will adjust the UTC time to local time by using the machine's Regional Settings for the Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time.

Version 1.2:

• davorpdavorp Member Posts: 17
    Great utility!

I like the option to automatically select objects in object designer, it works even if there are several NAV instances opened at the same time. Good job.

I did find two small things though:

1. Mouse wheel scroll is set to scroll single line only and is moving the highlighted blue line. Wheel scrolling through long object lists is taking forever this way.
    It might be better to scroll by 3 lines or whatever is set in Mouse Properties / Wheel page under Control Panel (I remember there was a way to get that value from the OS, could look it up if needed...). Also wheel scroll should only move the list window as if you're clicking on vertical bar up/down arrows instead of acting like you're pressing cursor up/down keys.

2. Selecting the objects in Object Designer twice in a row does not clear the previous marked selection resulting in empty selection list or wrong selection. Not sure how to fix this if you're only (I assume) sending key presses to NAV window. Not really an issue if you pay attention to what you're doing.
    Thanks!

I'm working on a new version, to be released shortly.

1. I'll see if I can do something about it. No promise though.
    I don't think it's a big deal, you can grab the scrollbar thumb and move it up/down quickly.
    You're welcome to mail me the way to get that value from the OS, if you can find it.

2. You are right, I am sending key presses to the NAV window, and it's not possible to know if a specific object has already been selected.
    So I don't think I can do anything about this. :(

Remember to rate my tool :)
  • davorpdavorp Member Posts: 17
    fitol wrote:
    1. I'll see if I can do something about it. No promise though.
    I don't think it's a big deal, you can grab the scrollbar thumb and move it up/down quickly.
    You're welcome to mail me the way to get that value from the OS, if you can find it.
    Well, if you're used to wheeling around all the time then it can be hard to remember how to move the scrollbar ;-)
    Anyway - here is a snippet to get the wheel scroll distance info:
    http://www.johnfindlay.plus.com/lcc-win32/Snippets/MWheel.htm

The function of choice would be SystemParametersInfo with SPI_GETWHEELSCROLLLINES (defined in winuser.h) which works on Windows newer than NT3.51 and Win9x, so NT4.0, Win2k, XP etc... Before that you needed to query MsWheel class...

Hope this is helpful.
    Finn's FobView v1.5
    Overview

FobView can view FOB, FBK, TXT and XML object files from Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision).

Features

Viewing of FOB, FBK, TXT and XML files from Navision.
    Print the list.
    Can check for updates.
    Set filter for the columns in the list.
    If you associate the file extension .fob with the program, you can double click the file and the program will open it.

Change History

Version 1.5
    Possible to filter the list, by clicking column header or using the toolbar button or pressing Ctrl+F7.
    Filters can by cleared by using the toolbar button or pressing Shift+Ctrl+F7.
    You can use wildcards * and ? in filters, to set a filter such as @*item* in the Name column.
    You can't use |, &, , = or .. as you can in Navision.
    Fixed bug when reading XML files. It could not read some XML files.
    Made export to Excel faster by making Excel not visible when transferring data.
    Shows progress bar when saving to file, printing, exporting to excel.
    Optimized marking of objects in Object Designer a little.
    Possible to switch between small and large toolbar buttons by right clicking the toolbar.
    Changed Main Icon and toolbar button graphics a bit.
    Shows hint in status bar.

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1
    Improved reading of fob files. I reveived a couple of fob files which the program could not read.

Finn's FobView v1.6
    Overview

FobView can view FOB, FBK, TXT and XML object files from Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision).

Features

Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History

Version 1.6
    Improved object marking to work better with a client connected to a slow server.
    Added Intelligent Object Marking: When marking objects from multiple fob files, the same objects are not unmarked.
    - It can by turned on and off in Settings.
    - It currently only works in Windows XP with med Windows Classic theme. It doesn't work with Windows XP theme. Sorry. I'll try to fix that later.
    - It is only tested with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.
    Made vertical scrollbar (thumb size) proportional, so it reflects the number of rows in the grid.
    Open buttons now include *.txt and *.xml in file type list (in addition to *.fob and *.fbk). This was forgotten in previous versions.
    Added setting to select small or large toolbar buttons. Was previously only available by right clicking the toolbar.
    Filter for a column is now indicated by a bold column header.
    Shows in status bar how many objects are in the list.
    Now shows various controls according to Themes in Windows.

Version 1.5
    Possible to filter the list, by clicking column header or using the toolbar button or pressing Ctrl+F7.
    You can use wildcards * and ? in filters, to set a filter such as @*item* in the Name column.
    Possible to switch between small and large toolbar buttons by right clicking the toolbar.

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1

Finn's FobView v1.7
    Overview

Features

Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History

Version 1.7
    Minor changes only.
    Changed how the current row in grid moves when pressing Page Up and Page Down.
    Improved detection that user has removed focus from Navision when marking objects in Object Designer.

Version 1.6
    Improved object marking to work better with a client connected to a slow server.
    Added Intelligent Object Marking: When marking objects from multiple fob files, the same objects are not unmarked.
    - It currently only works in Windows XP with med Windows Classic theme. It doesn't work with Windows XP theme. Sorry. I'll try to fix that later.
    Made vertical scrollbar (thumb size) proportional, so it reflects the number of rows in the grid.
    Open buttons now include *.txt and *.xml in file type list (in addition to *.fob and *.fbk). This was forgotten in previous versions.
    Added setting to select small or large toolbar buttons. Was previously only available by right clicking the toolbar.

Version 1.5

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1

Finn's FobView v1.8
    Overview

Features

Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History

Version 1.8
    Increased speed greatly when marking objects in Object Designer by setting filter for 20 objects at a time instead of just one object at a time.
    After marking objects in Object Designer, "Select All" Objects are no longer performed.

Version 1.7
    Minor changes only.
    Improved detection that user has removed focus from Navision when marking objects in Object Designer.

Version 1.6

Version 1.5

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1

• GreatMaharGreatMahar Member Posts: 11
    Hi Sir,

I have downloaded the Finn's FobView 1.8 and i can't mark the objects on NAV Object Deigner.
    It appearing Filter Box and Hang the FobView Program. I am using Window 7 Enterprise Edition. Any Suggestion to solve as i need that marking function alot. With Previous Version, It is working fine with Window 7.

Best Regards,
  • DanjoDanjo Member Posts: 12
    GreatMahar wrote:
    Hi Sir,

I have downloaded the Finn's FobView 1.8 and i can't mark the objects on NAV Object Deigner.
    It appearing Filter Box and Hang the FobView Program. I am using Window 7 Enterprise Edition. Any Suggestion to solve as i need that marking function alot. With Previous Version, It is working fine with Window 7.

Best Regards,

Hi,

same Problem here.
    But I have no Problem with Windows 7 Enterprise. It runs perfect under windows 7.
    With Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise it won't do as it should.
    Object Marking is teriibly slow.
    About 5 Minutes per marking.
    Tested in 1.8 and 1.7.

Has anybody solved this problem?
    Finn's FobView v1.9
    Overview

Features

Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History

Version 1.9:
    Rewritten code for Intelligent Object Marking. It now also works in other themes and not only with Windows XP Classic theme.
    In Windows 7 Date and Time are now displayed correctly according to user's locale. Before in some cases a wrong format was used.

Version 1.8
    Increased speed greatly when marking objects in Object Designer by setting filter for 20 objects at a time instead of just one object at a time.
    After marking objects in Object Designer, "Select All" Objects are no longer performed.

Version 1.7
    Minor changes only.

Version 1.6

Version 1.5

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1

Finn's FobView v2.0
    Overview

Features
    Handles object types: TableData, Table, Form, Report, Dataport, Codeunit, XMLport, MenuSuite, Page, Query.
    Save the list to a comma separated text file.
    Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History
    Version 2.0
    Compatible with NAV7: Support for new Query object type.
    Changed icon for Page object type.
    New function to create a Filter String and copy it to the Clipboard.
    Better to detect that focus have changed to another program When marking objects in Object Designer, so object marking is stopped more reliably.

Version 1.9
    Rewritten code for Intelligent Object Marking. It now also works in other themes and not only with Windows XP Classic theme.
    In Windows 7 Date and Time are now displayed correctly according to user's locale. Before in some cases a wrong format was used.

Version 1.8

Version 1.7
    Minor changes only.

Version 1.6
    Added setting to select small or large toolbar buttons. Was previously only available by right clicking the toolbar. Filter for a column is now indicated by a bold column header.

Version 1.5

Version 1.4
    New tool button to mark objects in Navision Object Designer.

Version 1.3.1
    Improved reading of fob files. I received a couple of fob files which the program could not read.

• helmhelm Member Posts: 46
    Hi

There seems to be some limitation on the possible size on objects to compare. I was going to compare to complete fobs to see differences between two databases. One fob contained 10457 objects and the other 10439 objects. Opening the first fob was no problem but when I opened the second fob I got a "Range Check Error". It did not matter which fob I opened as the first fob. I solved it by dividing them up in smaller fobs. But it would be good it this is solved for future versions.

Thanks in advance
    helm wrote:
    "Range Check Error".

Thanks for reporting it.
    I will look into it.

Edit: There is a new v2.1 available for download very soon.
    Finn's FobView v2.1
    verview

Features
    Handles object types: TableData, Table, Form, Report, Dataport, Codeunit, XMLport, MenuSuite, Page, Query.
    Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History
    Version 2.1
    Fixed error message "Range Check Error" which came when loading fob files with more than 20000 objects.

Version 2.0
    Better to detect that focus have changed to another program When marking objects in Object Designer, so object marking is stopped more reliably.

Version 1.9

Version 1.8

Version 1.7
    Minor changes only.

Version 1.6
    Added setting to select small or large toolbar buttons. Was previously only available by right clicking the toolbar. Filter for a column is now indicated by a bold column header.

Version 1.5

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1
    Improved reading of fob files. I received a couple of fob files which the program could not read.

Finn's FobView v2.2
    Overview

Features
    Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History

Version 2.2
    Requested feature: When comparing two object files, added a toolbuton to show objects which are added in file 2, and added a toolbutton to show objects which are deleted in file 2.
    Requested feature: Made setting to configure shortcut to "select all" objects in Object Designer. Select All is Ctrl+A in english, but Ctrl+E in spanish.

Version 2.1
    Fixed error message "Range Check Error" which came when loading fob files with more than 20000 objects.

Version 2.0

Version 1.9

Version 1.8

Version 1.7
    Minor changes only.

Version 1.6

Version 1.5

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1

• Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 203
    Hi Finn FobView Admin

Thanks for the great tool - its a gem =D> !

Cause am fortunate to use multi-screens on Windows 7 - recently when I open Fin Fobview it is opening but off-screen.

I know that this is a windows option but most software icons give an option of "move" but your wonderful tool only gives a minimise and restore options. Is this an option you could add please?

Keep up the good work :o!
    Big D signing off!
    Finn's FobView v2.3
    Overview

Features
    Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History

Version 2.3
    Requested feature: When comparing to show unequal objects, added selection to only show objects which are in both files.
    Requested feature: Added keyboard shortcuts to functions Save (Ctrl+S), Excel (Ctrl+E), Print (Ctrl+P), Mark Objects (Ctrl+M), Make Filter String (Ctrl+F).

Version 2.2
    Requested feature: When comparing two object files, added a toolbuton to show objects which are added in file 2, and added a toolbutton to show objects which are deleted in file 2.
    Requested feature: Made setting to configure shortcut to "select all" objects in Object Designer. Select All is Ctrl+A in english, but Ctrl+E in spanish.

Version 2.1

Version 2.0

Version 1.9

Version 1.8

Version 1.7
    Minor changes only.

Version 1.6

Version 1.5

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1

Hi Finn FobView Admin

Great to see version 2.3 out - ever so exciting \:D/ !

Remember me I was having the issue with...

Cause am fortunate to use multi-screens on Windows 7 - recently when I open Fin Fobview it is opening but off-screen.

I know that this is a windows option but most software icons give an option of "move" but your wonderful tool only gives a minimise and restore options. Is this an option you could add please?

Any chance of adding this to 2.4?

Keep up the good work !
    Big D signing off!
    Hi Big D
    I'll look into it.
    Please be patient.
    Regards
    Hi Finn FobView Admin

Okay being patient :-k !

Congrats on winning the European Song Contest - you must all be great singers over there :P!
    Big D signing off!
    Thanks for your kind words, Big D.

I made a multi screen setup in Windows 7 and when running FobView it shows up fine on my main screen.
    If I move it to the second screen and close it, it remembers that place when running it again.
    If I then disable the second screen and run FobView it starts off-screen.
    But I can use the move option, which it has, using Alt+Space shortcut, to move it to my main screen.
    So it appears to work fine when I do it.

Could you describe the precise steps you do, when it doesn't work for you, so that I can try to duplicate it on my site?
    Hi Finn FobView Admin

You Danes are always clever people - this why you win Song Contests :whistle: !

Alt + Space was not a command I was familiar with but sure enough this gives me a move option - you genius =D> !

Strangely enough I close your A1 tool - open again - no where to be found but now I know all about Alt + Space - feel like a Magician :P !

Until next time :thumbsup:
    Big D signing off!
    Finn's FobView v2.4
    Overview

Features
    Print the list.
    Can check for updates.

Change History

Version 2.4
    When reading a text object file objects with the name ending with a space (!!) was skipped and not shown in fobwiev. Objects of type Query can now be marked in Object Designer.

Version 2.3
    Requested feature: When comparing to show unequal objects, added selection to only show objects which are in both files.
    Requested feature: Added keyboard shortcuts to functions Save (Ctrl+S), Excel (Ctrl+E), Print (Ctrl+P), Mark Objects (Ctrl+M), Make Filter String (Ctrl+F).

Version 2.2

Version 2.1

Version 2.0

Version 1.9

Version 1.8

Version 1.7
    Minor changes only.

Version 1.6

Version 1.5

Version 1.4

Version 1.3.1