Options

releasing license

eric.vanglabbeekeric.vanglabbeek Member Posts: 3
edited 2004-11-09 in Navision Attain
I browsed the forum and i see a lot of threads about killing clients.
But i have the following problem.

The client crashes without releasing the license.
When the client creates a new connection, it uses a new license.

I want that the non-active connections that use license are freed.
But i can't find a way to do that

I use Navision Attain 3.6 with the native database
Anyone an idea ????

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    This article was found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Untitled Sessions Linger on Navision Server

Background:

The Navision client communicates with the Navision Server using TCP/IP sockets. If the client side of a TCP/IP connection is ended abnormally, the client side of the connection may never be acknowledged as closed. This can cause open sessions to accumulate on the server side. In this case the Navision Server shows clients connected with (no name). This condition can be cleared by stopping and starting the server service.

On Windows NT4 and earlier a registry setting controlling the TCP/IP stack caused a KEEPALIVE packet to be sent out every 2 hours to every client that had a TCP/IP connection to the server. This would allow those "phantom sessions" to be cleared at least every 2 hours. The Windows 2000 TCP/IP stack does not use this parameter by default hence aggravating the "phantom session" problem.

To Resolve Phantom Sessions:

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, additional information may be found in the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry.

In order to resolve this issue, you will need to modify the registry on the machine running the Navision Server service. You will only need to make the change on this one machine. Before you you begin, ensure all users have properly closed their Navision Clients and no one is logged into the server. You may modify the registry using regedt32 and following the instructions below. Once you have made the modification you will need to reboot the server.

The full details of TCP/IP Configuration Parameters for Windows 2000 and Windows NT can be found in Microsoft Knowledgebase article 120642.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To change these parameters, use the following procedure:
    Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:
    System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\parameters\

Add a value to the key as described in the appropriate entry below by clicking Add Value on the Edit menu,
    typing the value: KeepAliveTime
    then using the Data Type check box to set the value type: REG_DWORD
    Enter the value: hex 6ddd000 or decimal 7200000
    Click OK.
    Quit Registry Editor.
    Reboot the computer to make the change take effect.

NB: the parameter name is case sensitive.

The parameter is described below:

KeepAliveTime
    Key: Tcpip\Parameters
    Value Type: REG_DWORD - Time in milliseconds
    Valid Range: 1 - 0xFFFFFFFF
    Default: 7,200,000 (two hours)
    Description: The parameter controls how often TCP attempts to verify that an idle connection is still intact by sending a keep alive packet. If the remote system is still reachable and functioning, it will acknowledge the keep alive transmission. Keep alive packets are not sent by default. This feature may be enabled on a connection by an application.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    eric.vanglabbeekeric.vanglabbeek Member Posts: 3
    I found that key also somewhere.
    However it didn't say that the 2 hour limit was only on NT4.

I believed it was standard 2 hourd on every windows version.
    And even after 2 hours the license where not released.

Since i had no other solution, i just added this key a hour ago, and we are testing it.

Now that i know that the keepalive is not implemented by default on W200x versions of windows i'm more confident that this is the solution

thanks
  • Options
    PollekePolleke Member Posts: 18
    If you're thinking of lowering the standard value of 2 hours, be advised that this works for all processes on the particular server and may have unexpected side-effects (such as an overall decresing performance).
  • Options
    Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    Since Navision 4.00 it should be possible to kill a session also on native Servers. (I have not tested this)
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]