Will Standard Model Solve my Problem?

megawavezmegawavez Member Posts: 133
edited 2011-03-03 in SQL General
I recently just moved our database from SQL2000 to SLQ2008. I did a backup and restore. Unfortunately, I've been getting some weird permissions errors since the restore. Once user was trying to rename an item and got an error about SELECT from the "Item Price Change" table. I fixed that by granting access to Public, then I get and error about UPDATE to "Sales Shipment Line". I could error by error grant appropriate access, but it seems like it could be a painful process.

We are currently on "Enhanced" model. Will "Standard" solve the problem? There were no problems before the upgrade.

We are using Client 5.0 SP1 right now.

Thanks,
mega

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    there have been a couple of post on this. Most are from 2K to 2k5, but it's the same issue.

You need to do NAV backup and restore.

The other option is to lookup the blog that kine or kriki posted on this.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    It's hard to tell if the choice of "Security Model" will solve the problem, as we don't know IF the SM is/was causing the problem ...

But actually I highly recommend the "Standard" SM anyway!
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • megawavezmegawavez Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try standard and see if that fixes the problem. "Enhanced" seems a little unnecessary right now.
    Thought I'd post this reply for anybody reading these boards. A switch to standard model did solve the problem ! For some reason, the "Synchronize All Logins" was not properly updating permissions under enhanced.
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Yes, this confirms my guess. This "Enhanced" Security Model is really a pain :thumbsdown: ... I'm wondering who on earth is really needing this ... so far I haven't met anyone ...

And it's always great fun to explain that "Standard" is not the Standard setting, but "Enhanced" ... and "Enhanced" is actually not "Enhanced" but Limited ... ](*,)
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
    stryk wrote:
    Yes, this confirms my guess. This "Enhanced" Security Model is really a pain :thumbsdown: ... I'm wondering who on earth is really needing this ... so far I haven't met anyone ...

And it's always great fun to explain that "Standard" is not the Standard setting, but "Enhanced" ... and "Enhanced" is actually not "Enhanced" but Limited ... ](*,)

Quite a pain - I had to restore from a backup to get Standard again.