Connection performance between Europe and Australia

RallnusRallnus Member Posts: 79
edited 2011-02-15 in General Chat
I've got a question referring the speed of an intercontinental connection.

We use a VPN / Citrix connection between Germany and Australia.
The speed of this connecion is very slow when we use Australian clients. But the speed changes form time to time. With a client configured in Germany we have a satisfying speed in average.

Has anybody got an idea what the reason can be?

How relyable is the connection between the continents?

We are planning to expand our NAV activities in AUS - so, have we to install an own server in AUS?

Thx for your experiences..

Solution: we've changed some hardware in AUS, now it works.
Rallnus (Yamaha FJ1200 - '89 / 25th anniversary was great!)

Answers

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    What is the connection?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I think that the problem could be, that the line is going through satellites... they have big latency. Once I was using just "short" link from Czech rep. to Romania but it went through sat and it was like "type what you know, wait till it will be done, than continue...", using mouse was not possible... (move, wait till cursor moves...).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kine wrote:
    I think that the problem could be, that the line is going through satellites... they have big latency. Once I was using just "short" link from Czech rep. to Romania but it went through sat and it was like "type what you know, wait till it will be done, than continue...", using mouse was not possible... (move, wait till cursor moves...).

Australia is a little bit more advanced that that. They have bits of wire that go out there.

I have no problems connecting to Australia at all. My guess is that your ISP is doing it on the cheap. Try a TRACERT to see what they are doing. Its probably a latency issue.

Of course if they are located in the desert they may be using satellites, but if they are in any major city then it will all be optic fiber.
    David Singleton
  • KarenhKarenh Member Posts: 209
    I have done some work for a company with offices in Sydney and Perth (both in Australia) which connect to the parent German company and use Navision with remote desktop. That has worked for them for years.

Whilst access to the internet may not be available in the bush, the major Australian cities have excellent internet access.