Options

Question about Capable-to-Promise.

thomastthomast Member Posts: 102
edited 2015-07-11 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Guys,

I'm helping a client set up and use the Capable-to-Promise functionality in a manufacturing environment. When they get an order from a customer, they can come up with the delivery date in two ways:
1) Either my client decides the delivery date. This should be when they have the time to do it so that it does not require overloading the work centers.
2) The customer dictates the delivery date. In this case it would be OK if the work centers are over-loaded as they will call in extra staff.

So, we would like the Capable-to-Promise to work on the assumption that the work centers may not be overloaded, but if the customer insists on a quicker delivery date, then it should be OK for the work centers to be overloaded.

It seems that as the work centers have infinite loading capacity by default, the Capable-to-promise will just start piling activities onto the work center quickly taking it above 100% load. So this doesn't work. And if I set up the work center as a "Capacity Constrained Resource" it will NEVER be able to go over, say 100%.

So, can I achieve both depending on how insisting the customer is?

Comments

• Options
    thomastthomast Member Posts: 102
    No one? I will pay $200 to whoever can answer this one (half up front) :-)
  • Options
    graveczgravecz Member Posts: 35
    This is really difficult problem. Maybe i can advice you, but i don't know yours base data structure.

You need to force CTO to change routing - for dictative customers. You can realize this by Item variant with StockKeeping unit exists (with different routing) or by different card (copy of item card). I mean you would change Item variant/Item card on Sales line for dictative customer, but Routing has to contain copy of Machine center but without Capacity constrain.

And finally, push this concept to Machine Centers with Consolidated Calendar. If you make it this way, your capacity load on Work center will contain capacity from Machine centers for Dictatives and for others separate. You will have to make rules for analysing Work center load, but everything I said is standard NAV functionality.

I haven't tried it, but it should work.Do you understand me?