Options

New Features in SQL Option For Navision 4.0 SP1

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,496
edited 2005-12-16 in Download section
New Features in SQL Option For Navision 4.0 SP1
This webcast discusses the improvements that are available with the recently released Microsoft Business Solutions—Navision 4.0 Service Pack 1 while using the Microsoft SQL Server Option. Join us for this free webcast and learn how you can surgically improve your database performance.

Presenter: Robert Miller, Escalation Engineer, Microsoft Corporation

Window Media (wmv) [38:46]

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=533

Discuss this download here.

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    This is a MUST READ for all Navision developers. I thought FINDFIRST would just replace FIND('-') when I first heard about the new keyword, but that is not the case. This explains the new keywords with background and examples, have to read it folks :).
  • Options
    markvandermeijmarkvandermeij Member Posts: 26
    I agree with Daniel, looking forward to try out these new features. Hopefully this will improve performance and solve locking problems. I would like to hear the results from others using the new functions and options.
  • Options
    GoMaDGoMaD Member Posts: 313
    is it just me or does anybody else have the feeling that the native navision SP1 client is slower than the non SP1 client.

Can it be because of the new find keywords (findfirst, findlast and findset)?
    It seems that they are reworking the clients to stay closer to the SQL way of working. But this seems to have an opposite effect on the native client.
    (if you use the old find('-') or find('+') syntax)

And why is the demo db not altered to use the new find keywords?

or am i just paranoid?
    Now, let's see what we can see.
    Everybody on-line.
    Looking good!
  • Options
    markvandermeijmarkvandermeij Member Posts: 26
    As I understood the new functions (findset etc.) are specifically written for SQL not the native DB engine. I agree with you that is strange they didn't adapt the demo Db with the new functions (or at least the SQL version).
    ..And yes of course the native DB is going to fade out and SQL will be the primary version, this is not paranoia but reality...but may'be they (Ms) can learn someting from the native Db to optimize SQL.
  • Options
    GoMaDGoMaD Member Posts: 313
    I agree totally!

I'm going to setup a benchtest PC and do some more testing.

I'll keep y'all posted!
    Now, let's see what we can see.
    Everybody on-line.
    Looking good!
  • Options
    Michael_SchumacherMichael_Schumacher Member Posts: 81
    Hi there,

on Tuesday, dec 13. 2005 at 17:00 CET there was a webcast about this theme, which I missed because of working at a customers site :-(

Does anybody know if this was the same that we can download here?
    And if not the same, does anybody have the last cast as link or download?

thanks a lot

PS: I find this new find-functions very useful and use them already in my importing tools ;-)
    regards,
    Michael Schumacher

oh, what day is it? Backup day. OK, let's dump all data to /dev/nul ;-)
  • Options
    GrantGrant Member Posts: 30
    This is a MUST READ for all Navision developers. I thought FINDFIRST would just replace FIND('-') when I first heard about the new keyword, but that is not the case. This explains the new keywords with background and examples, have to read it folks .

Hi Daniel,

You mentioned a "MUST READ" - were you referring to an actual hardcopy document, or to the Windows Media link? If there is an actual document, what were you referring to, do you have a link to this?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    This is from the release notes

3.1.4.1 Introduce new C/AL functions to make FIND more efficient
    Details
    The new FINDSET function is to be used instead of FIND(‘-‘) … NEXT loops to provide the optimal SQL queries for traversing forward through a set of records. An optional parameter will allow for optimizations when modifications are to be made to records in the set.

The new FINDFIRST and FINDLAST functions are to be used instead of FIND(‘-‘) and FIND(‘+’), respectively, where only one record is required. This provides for the optimal singleton SQL Server query.

The FIND function will continue to be supported without change to the implementation.

For the Microsoft Navision server, these functions are also supported and will make use of the normal FIND operations.

The new functions will be available through C/FRONT as well.

Improvements
    • This does away with the ambiguity of the current FIND function allowing for the most efficient SQL statement to be issued.
    • A non-cursor query that is faster and consumes less server resources (firehose) can be used (provided that the set size is small).
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Grant wrote:
    This is a MUST READ for all Navision developers. I thought FINDFIRST would just replace FIND('-') when I first heard about the new keyword, but that is not the case. This explains the new keywords with background and examples, have to read it folks .

Hi Daniel,

You mentioned a "MUST READ" - were you referring to an actual hardcopy document, or to the Windows Media link? If there is an actual document, what were you referring to, do you have a link to this?

Thanks in advance!
    I was referring to the topic, and of course the movie is a 'MUST WATCH' 8)